St John of God Ballarat Hospital
- Expanded inpatient rehabilitation unit to 30 dedicated beds.
- First St John of God Health Care hospital to implement Code Grey protocol and buttons for emergency response to situations/incidents of verbal and/or physical aggression, threatening behaviour, abuse and violence involving patients, visitors, relatives, visiting medical officers or caregivers.
- Reviewed maternity model of care and segregated women’s health and surgical units on Level 3.
- External audit of medical records to improve documentation and revenue capture.
- Quality Improvement including Review A3 “lean methodology” program has produced continuing improvement in outcomes, including 9% reduction in patient falls, 46% reduction in pressure injuries, and encouraging outcomes from research project with Australian Catholic University trialling moisturising to prevent hospital-acquired skin tears.
- Upgraded cardiac catheter laboratory software to extend equipment life and improve image quality.
Ranked at the 95th percentile for day surgery satisfaction in the annual Press Ganey Survey of patients from hospitals in the same peer group, up from 89th percentile in previous year. Emergency ranked in the 85th percentile, and inpatient satisfaction in the 83rd percentile.
- Introduced Healthy Options Project resulting in more “green” healthy and less “red” unhealthy food and drinks (Proportion of red drinks reduced from 79% to 6% in cafeteria from February to June 2017).
- New appointments during the year included: Chief Executive Officer (Acting), Maria Noonan; Director of Nursing (Acting), Michael Ryan; and Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Nigel Jarvis.
- Supported an evening with oncologist Dr Ranjana Srivastava OAM, and an evening with Baroness Susan Greenfield, which brought five universities and two hospital communities together in November 2016.
- Alex Demidov to commence as Chief Executive Officer.
- Proposal for new ICU/CCU (level 2), cardiac catheter and short stay unit.
- Implement scanned medical records. Implement secure messaging for discharge summaries and operations notes to improve communication with specialists and general practitioners.
- Commence neurosurgery.
Chief Executive Officer: Maria Noonan (Acting)
Medical Advisory Chair: Mr Lachlan Dodds
Accredited doctors: 366
Theatre and procedure rooms: Five theatres, one endoscopy suite, one cardiac catheterisation laboratory
Services: Surgical, medical and oncology inpatient and day stay, obstetrics and neonatal care, inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, intensive and coronary care, emergency department, perinatal and infant mental health and community psychology services.