St John of God Berwick Hospital
- Construction of the new St John of God Berwick Hospital continued throughout 2016/17. On completion, the hospital will have 190 beds, six operating theatres, two procedure rooms, a cardiovascular interventional laboratory, six birthing suites, 350 basement car parks and the first intensive care unit and cardiac care unit in the region.
- A Mako Robot was purchased in 2017, allowing surgeons to deliver robot-guided joint replacement surgery.
- Planning for introduction of intensive care and cardiac care service.
- DigniCap® machine purchased to help prevent hair loss for chemotherapy patients.
- New heart failure clinic launched onsite, improving access to cardiologists.
- Engaged Practicus to assist with the relocation and commissioning of the new hospital.
- Liz Newstead appointed McGrath Breast Care Nurse.
- Sue Blake appointed as Commissioning CEO for the Gibb Street redevelopment.
- Berwick Hospital celebrated the first anniversary of its wig service, coinciding with the second anniversary of the opening of the Oncology Unit in Kangan Drive, Berwick. The Oncology Unit has treated more than 6,000 patients.
- In May 2017, Nurse Unit Manager for Oncology, Lisa Marchetti presented at the Victorian Integrated Cancer Services annual conference on “How Consumer Feedback Influenced Unit Design and Model of Care”.
- Celebrated 10 years of the Berwick Hospital volunteer program.
- The hospital achieved accreditation against the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards in March 2017 – receiving two ‘met with merits’ for excellent collaboration with consumers, and community engagement in relation to new hospital design and a client-centric approach to patient information.
- Three caregivers took part in the World’s Greatest Shave, raising a total of $4,320.
- Entered a Disability Employment Collaboration Agreement with MAX Employment and Dandenong Valley Job Support.
- Commenced a concierge role at the Specialist Centre to improve the experience of patients and visitors on arrival.
- The new hospital is scheduled to open on 18 January 2018.
- New Cardiac Unit, ICU and Rehabilitation Unit to open in February 2018.
- Close Gibb Street facility in January 2018 and redevelop it as a rehabilitation hospital, to open late 2018 with the transfer of the Rehabilitation Unit from Kangan Drive.
- Implement a workforce plan and recruitment process.
- Commence a heritage project to document the history of health care in Berwick.
- Recruit to expand volunteer base to meet the needs associated with the hospital expansion.
Chief Executive Officer: Lisa Norman
Medical Advisory Chair: Dr Mark Tarrant
Beds: 70 at Gibb St, 12 at Kangan Dr
Accredited doctors: 510
Theatre and procedure rooms: Three theatres and one procedure room
Services: Special care nursery, obstetrics, oncology, elective surgery, medical, endoscopy, palliative care and sleep studies.